Monday 16 January 2012

Introductory Post

Hey! My name is Angela. This is my first blog and I am excited to get started. I am in my second year at the University of Alberta. I am in Human Ecology majoring in Family Ecology and minoring in Child and Youth Development. Communication is very important in my field of study because when working with people, especially children, a comprehensive knowledge and application of communication skills is essential.

I primarily use communication to stay in contact with my friends and family. Most often I use Facebook but recently I have joined Twitter. I enjoy using Facebook because I feel like it is a more complete view of what a person is doing and what they are in to. I enjoy reading my friends and family's statuses and updates as well as viewing their photos. I have not quite grasped the Twitter phenomenon but I am learning slowly. I think it is pretty cool that you can follow a celebrity or a favorite sports team and instantly be up to date on what's happening. Even though it is less detailed then Facebook the information seems to be transmitted faster and more candidly-like a snapshot of a person's life at that particular moment.

As technology becomes even more popular and widely used children are exposed to its many pros and cons. It is important to understand the significance of this form of communication in my field of study because it becomes a major part of  family life and a child's development. For example, if a child is being cyber-bullied it is important to understand how communication through technology has made this possible and take appropriate action. Communication can play a positive role in increasing a parents' accessibility to their children. An example of this is a parent who has gone away for a business trip or is in the military using Skype to connect with his or her family. This has many implications for the dynamics of family life.



Photo taken by Shehzadi
External family life blogs:
http://jugglingmama.com/
http://www.topmommyblogs.com/pages/family_life_mom_blogs.html
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brain-bootcamp/200906/is-technology-fracturing-your-family
http://www.blogs.com/topten/10-best-family-travel-blogs/

Internal blog:
ales204nutritionstudent.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Your comment on cyber-bullying reminded me of a movie trailer I saw for the documentary 'Bully' that comes out this month. Bullying has become a huge and devastating issue, and technology has been a definite starting point for kids to bully as they can do it easily and they don't see there being any consequences if they bully on the internet or through texting. So I agree with you that there are pros and cons of technology!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently decided to minor in human ecology and major in nutrition and food science, you're the first person I've seen who is majoring in Human Ecology. I have to agree with you that facebook is a better form of connecting with your family and friends that you don't often get to see or talk to. However, I find that twitter is better to find out news and quick updates of what is happening now. It's interesting to see how technology and social media has changed so many people lives within the past few years.

    ReplyDelete